Hey everyone! Nicky here :) Check out my new Facebook page I set up this past Sunday! Facebook.com/nicoleclariziodesign I’ll be using this page to promote my projects, website, and portfolio. Also, on a daily basis, I will share articles, works … Continue reading
Today I had the great opportunity to take a trip to Toronto’s new Aquarium :)
I eagerly charged up my camera and shot some videos; here is what I saw with a special someone :)
This past Wednesday was December 25 aka Christmas; probably the one day a year that I can ask for anything that I want. In all honesty, I had a difficult time deciding on the gifts I wanted to receive from my family, mainly because I was pretty content with what I already had. Finally, I crafted a short list of items, including a Wacom Inkling.
What is an Inkling you ask?
Just watch this video:
Pretty cool right?
Well, on Christmas, this is one of the gifts I got from my family and it is quite INCREDIBLE!!!
Here’s the step by step of how it works:
Food Porn is back!
Yes, I am returning to the project i was planning on doing during the summer but completely forgot to do… NOW I HAVE AN EXCUSE TO ACTUALLY FINISH IT!!!!!!!!
In my Typography class this semester, we have been making books, and we were assigned our final book, which is intended to combine the parts of the first two books into something more interesting. The intention is to create a book that, on the surface, appears to be about another topic entirely, but is actually about typography. My professor, Christopher Moorehead, commented that each year he receives a type of pornographic book. Upon hearing this, my friend Marty and I decided that we would each make a porno! Marty is making his about 50s pin-up girls and me… I’m doing FOOD PORN!
Here are a few of the spreads I have made so far for the book:
I am just now realizing how many projects I have promised to work on, and how many I’ve forgotten to work on…
BUT THIS ONE IS A KEEPER!!!
Sweet Drops is a “Candy Brand” I created. With this, I wanted to practice package design, logo design, branding, all it takes to make a product. So far, I have made the logo design that I really really like!
I also made a colour palette of logo colours to use:
Now, I’m focusing on the packaging of the “candy”. Maybe, I’ll make the actual candy or sweets… WE SHALL SEE!!!!
Any comments/feedback are always welcome so don’t be shy :)
Lately, I’ve been spending a good chunk of my Internet time on behance.net, a website for people to showcase and discover creative work. It’s a great website for designers who want recognition in their work from other people for potential jobs. Obviously, I signed up so I can get more exposure to other people’s successful work. For example, I started following andersdenkend, a graphic and editorial design company based in Germany. Some of the projects on the profile include:
This project really interested me because I quite like the style of the work. Therefore, I decided to experiment in Adobe Illustrator and I came up with this:
Remember, inspiration can come from anywhere, so embrace it while you can :)
Last summer, I made a blog post about my Black Swan alter ego drawing I completed for my Grade 12 Art class. Now, after much thought and watching of tv, I have discovered in myself another alter ego…
Jess from the show New Girl
With her bubbly, off-beat personality (as well as her outfits), I can see similar traits within myself.
With that being said, today I got my hair done and decided to get bangs! (Funnily enough, sort of the same as Jess’s…)
So, here is me being the New Girl!
And there you have it! Maybe I’ll discover more alter egos… I seem to be getting them mainly from watching tv… good excuse to turn on the tube if you ask me :)
If there is one pass time that I enjoy more than anything creative, it would be eating. I not only eat everything off my plate (or try to), but I have a very adventurous palette. While my sisters opt for a generic burger with fries, I might order the Grilled Calamari or Octopus Tentacles or even Swordfish (although I still enjoy the generic burger with fries combo like any other individual). However, as well as enjoying to eat food, I do enjoy looking at food.
So, as you may have guessed already, this post is about Food Photography. Now, the picture above with me about to devour a cupcake is NOT part of this DIY, (although taking pictures of people about to shove food into their faces, really is hilarious!). Anyways, here are a couple tips when it comes to taking beautiful photographs of food.
- Use White and Silver Bounce Cards – Wondering what the heck those are?? Well, they are used to create a broader, directional light source where there isn’t sufficient ambient light. They are generally used to control the shadows and highlight contrasts in various lighting situations. So, in food photography, bounce cards become helpful in adding more colour and texture to the food in your images.
- Play around with your Focal Point – One element I love about taking pictures of food would have to be playing with the focal of the image, making what the viewer is looking at more interesting. Find one piece of the food, whether its a mound of rice or a drip of chocolate or a swirl of icing on a cake, to bring to the forefront.
- Try shooting Overhead – Enough said.
- Style the Plate – Now, I don’t mean the actual plate; I mean the stuff on the plate. Pay attention to the balance of the food, colour palette, rule of thirds perhaps, etc. You want the stuff in the photograph to make the viewers’ mouths water like CRAZY!
- Just HAVE FUN – Get creative with the food you decide to shot and also where you are. Take pictures of dishes made at restaurants, coffee shops, bakeries, and even from the food cart/truck!
So there you have it!
Now, I’m going out and making my book of really beautiful food! AND I will put them up here as I go along, but for now, here is what my cover looks like so far :)